Tuesday, September 16, 2008

I just bought Jon Krakauer's Into the Wild.

In April 1992 a young man from a well to do family hitchiked to Alaska and walked alone into the wilderness north of Mt. McKinley. His name was Christopher Johnson McCandless. He had given $25 000 in savings to charity, abandoned his car and most of his possessions, burned all the cash in his wallet, and invented a new life for himself....

He ended up starving to death in the Alaskan wilderness.

I just find his story fascinating. I cant quite decide what it would take to do something like that, an incredible amount of courage of just studipity, naievity and arrogance; maybe its all of it. My heart would say he's an amazing human being, to have the guts to pick up and walk away if just in search for something truer. My head would tend to agree I think. I would wish for that kind of courage but in the same breath hope to never take it that far.

Perhaps this is the perfect book for me to read right now. I want something new, something too different..but at the same time I love everything that keeps me here. Its not some age old dilemma but I do want both. I want to run away without leaving them all behind. So how far will that take me....Malacca?.....ha...I hate Malacca....oh well

No comments: